APEX BEACH VOLLEYBALL
Our Purpose for Apex Beach Volleyball
Beach volleyball brings a fun and relaxed environment that allows athletes to discover a sense of self out on the court!
Reps...reps...reps- skills are sharpened, play every rally, double the contacts
Mental Toughness- strengthens mindset, develops self control, sharpens focus
Recovery- less strenuous on body, less injuries, helps strengthen systems in body
Court Awareness- spatial awareness, ball cues, player cues
Defense- reading play, reacting to the BALL, develops pursuit mindset/attitude
Communication- verbal & non-verbal, "intimate" understanding, hand signals
Team Work- develops trust, shared responsibility, understanding working TOGETHER
Psychological- fun, relaxed environment, no coaches, no subs, part of each rally
Decision Making Skills- block/no block, shoot/hit, switch strategy, etc.
Finding of "Self"- nutrition, hydration, shelter, sunscreen, schedule
Performance Opportunities- College Scholarships, National Team, National Tours, FIVB world tour, Olympics
PLEASE CHECK BACK IN DECEMBER FOR UPDATES ON APEX BEACH
Girls and Boys
1) How does beach volleyball work? Beach volleyball is a sport that you can play with many different partners. Teams consist of 2 players. You and your partner just sign up and pay for the tournaments that you are able to compete in. We will help guide you as to how to sign up for tournaments and give you the most out of your beach experience with our talented and experienced coaches.
2) Do I need a partner to sign up for the program? It is not mandatory to have a partner before you sign up, however, if no one is available to be partnered with you, it will make it difficult at practices. Practices will incorporate multiple partner drills, so that when teams do compete, they are familiar with each other. If you cannot find a partner after the first couple weeks of practice, we will give you half of your monthly registration fee back if you wish to not continue with the program.
3) What ages can sign up? There are divisions for 12U, 14U, 16U and 18U. Any ten year old would have to compete in the 12U division, however, depending on numbers, we might be able to do some inter-squad competitions.
3) How do the practices work? You will need to register for the practice session starting June 1st by May 30th. The first registration will include an Apex Beach tank top that may be worn for practices or tournaments. You will be required to fill out a google doc form two weeks before the practices just so our coaches know who is coming and how to plan their practices.
4) How do tournaments work? Apex Beach Volleyball will host several tournaments at Ozark Beach Club. There will be other local tournaments as well as tournaments in Kansas City. Teams could travel and compete in national tournaments as well. You can enter as many tournaments as your schedule will allow. Each tournament entry fee is between $80-$200 per team (split between the 2 partners).
Once again our Beach Program will be led by Coach Hanson. We have also hired two other current Missouri State Beach players to teach and work with our beach athletes. Please check out their bios below. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Julia Hanson - Apex Beach Head Coach
Julia Hanson is in her second year of coaching at Apex. This past summer she is headed up our first year of our beach volleyball program. Julia was a multi-position standout at Fort Atkinson High, spending most of her time as a six-rotation player with one season as a libero. She averaged 4.47 kills, 4.41 digs and 1.44 blocks per set as a senior earning her first-team all-conference honors each of her final two seasons. She played for the Lady Bears indoor volleyball program where she saw time in 12 sets over seven matches, all during the MVC season. Julia decided to play one year of beach volleyball at MSU while finishing her degree in psychology and minoring in BMS.
Tylar Garrett - Apex Beach Coach
Tylar is from Phoenix Arizona. She started playing volleyball when she was 9 years old both indoor and beach. She played club for 4 years then switched to beach only my freshman year of high school. She continued playing indoor for my high school team all four years as well as our high school beach team. She placed 3rd in the Arizona state high school pairs tournament. She played with RPM sand volleyball where I got to travel around different states and compete. I finished 9th in the AVP National Championship in California my sophomore year in the 16U division. She had multiple 1st-3rd place finishes in AVP, USAV, AAU tournaments.
Tylar will be a junior at Missouri State University and play on the beach volleyball team. She's studying Exercise and Movement Science with plans to become an athletic trainer.
Grace Cook - Apex Beach Coach
Grace is from Wichita Falls, Texas but lived in Florida and Arizona due to her family being in the military. She has been around volleyball for 14 years. She played indoors since she was 7 up to my senior year in high school. Grace started playing beach volleyball when she lived in Navarre, Florida at the age of 15. In high school, she played for RPM sand for three years in Arizona where she finished top ten at nationals in Hermosa Beach California.
Grace will be a junior at Missouri State. She is majoring in exercise and movement science. She plans on becoming a pediatric occupational therapist.